What are VOCs and should I be concerned with this?
What are VOCs and should I be concerned with this?
What are VOCs? The US EPA says:
“Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) are emitted as gases from certain solids or liquids. VOCs include a variety of chemicals, some of which may have short- and long-term adverse health effects.”
So, the answer to the question “Should I be concerned?” is: Yes, No, Maybe.
We often have people say to us I have been told by a very highly educated mold expert with an impressive background that I shouldn’t use essential oils to get rid of mold because they have VOCs and they could be a lung irritant.
If someone said that to me, I would ask them, “Are you saying I should avoid everything that has a scent or an odor? Should I also get rid of every personal care item I own?”
If they are honest, they will tell you, no. There are many things that have odor or scent that are not dangerous at all to most people.
So why do these highly educated and impressive individuals say such things when it comes to essential oils?
Because they don’t know hardly anything about essential oils and they don’t want to say that, because that would make them look less like an expert.
So, instead, they use terminology that you are unfamiliar with to scare you into thinking they know more than you do. And the truth is, they do know more than you do about VOCs, but they are not telling you the whole truth about VOCs, only enough to scare you.
Here is the truth about essential oils and about VOCs.
- Essential Oils are Volatile Organic Compounds. They not only give off VOCs, they are VOCs. However, VOCs given off by synthetic chemicals accumulate in the body and create inflammation and disease, while the VOCs in essential oils actually breakdown and clear away synthetic chemicals that are stored in your body and help ease inflammation and disease.
- To eliminate all VOCs, you would have to eliminate anything and everything on the planet that has an odor or a scent, including every flower, tree, fruit, and plants of every kind. Doing so would be the end of our food supply.
- Man-made, synthetic chemicals (which are called organic compounds) that give off VOCs are found in household cleaning and disinfecting supplies, air fresheners, cosmetics, personal care items including shampoos, conditioners, moisturizers, lotions, face creams, and shaving creams, mouthwash, and toothpaste, as well as degreasing and hobby products, paints and lacquers, paint strippers, pesticides, building materials and furnishings, office equipment such as copiers and printers, correction fluids and carbonless copy paper, graphics and craft materials including glues and adhesives, permanent markers, photographic solutions. All of these have VOCs. And the VOCs from your personal care and cleaning products are for more hazardous to your health than the blend of essential oils we recommend for preventing and eliminating mold.
- Essential oils clear detritus out of cells and facilitate improved cellular communication.
- VOCs from synthetic chemicals will bio-accumulate in cells and actually cause irritation and miscommunication between cells.
- Essential Oils do not bio-accumulate. Pure essential oils that are not chemically altered, standardized, or adulterated with synthetic chemicals will be utilized by the body or discarded within 3-24 hours and studies done in France since the early 1900s indicate that the body does not build a resistance to or dependence on essential oils, meaning you will not have to keep taking or increase your dosage of an essential oil over time to maintain the same benefits to health. And unlike pharmaceuticals if you use an essential oil to address health issues, when the problem is cleared, you won’t have to take that essential oil for that purpose again, unless you do something to re-establish the same disease profile in the body again.
- The half-life of a pure essential oil is typically 3-6 hours. Generally speaking, it is said that essential oils will be utilized by the body within 3-6 hours. That is why it is suggested that you apply essential oils or take them internally every 3-6 hours when dealing with health concerns. (IMPORTANT NOTE: We only recommend using Young Living oils for this purpose. There is no other company we know of in the United States that says you can take their oils internally.)
- Essential oils can have immediate action in the body. It is common for you to see a response to an essential oil immediately, within 20 seconds, or it may take longer, up to 20 minutes, depending on the density and viscosity of the oil being used. Essential oils may have immediate benefits or may provide short-term or long-term benefits to your health.
- VOCs from man-made synthetic chemicals can have immediate and short-term or long-term negative effects on your health.
- We have personally used the protocol of applying Young Living’s Thieves Essential Oil in over 300 businesses, homes, and public agencies since 2005 with great success. This includes using this protocol in hospitals, schools, and government offices, and even in a Neo-Natal Intensive Care Unit where at-risk infants were returned to the rooms that were cleared with the Close Protocol less than 24-hours after diffusing with no negative side-effects to those tiny babies. What other mold remediation option offers that kind of safety?
The pure Young Living Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils we use and recommend come from organically grown, farmed and harvested plant material that is steam distilled or cold pressed to extract the rich volatile organic compounds that provide life affirming and health supportive benefits not available from any other mold remediation option. If you want safety and health benefits instead of high costs and bad side-effects from hazardous chemicals, then choose to use the Close Protocol for preventing and eliminating mold with Young Living Therapeutic Grade Thieves Essential Oil. It has been proven to be the most advanced, cutting edge, pro-health mold-remediation option available today, in test after test since 2005.
And if someone ever says to you:
“I wouldn’t use essential oils because they have VOCs that could be lung irritants.”
Then you should ask them this:
“So, are you saying that everything that has a scent or an odor is dangerous to me?”
Then pay close attention to what they say. The real answer is Yes, No, Maybe, it depends on the specific substance and on you, the way your body reacts or responds to that substance.
Take time to listen. Question everything, as Morgan Freeman says. Use the brain God gave you to discern truth. When faced with a situation that is as confusing to behold as a scattering of sugar and sand, be like the wise ant who uses its senses and its mind to select only the grains of sugar, that way you will always select the sweet reward of truth.
By Jacquelyn A Close